Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Grace

Gospel reading: John 3.1-17
(Click HERE for last Sunday's readings)

Arrowheads were often found at the summer camp I attended as a child. Some of the counselors were fairly expert in the field, accumulating large and varied collections over the years. I suppose some folks could make informed guesses as to age, tribe, purposes associated with their finds.

But my interests almost always tend toward the particular. What fascinated me was not some general development in the tools of tribal warfare or hunting. It was that a particular set of hands chose this piece of flint one afternoon in the history of the world and set to knocking of its edges until the made thing satisfied its maker.

Equally compelling was the story of how the thing was lost. Did a lost arrow's shaft rot away in the woods, or did the head tumble out of a pocket before it ever got the chance to be thrown by a bow?

My mind makes the very same leap to this day when I read of Jacob taking the stone he had used for a pillow the night before and tipping it up to mark the place God had come to him in a dream. I imagine stumbling onto such a stone and seeing some evidence of human intention. Then wondering who tipped this up and why.

We get the who and why in the book of Genesis when this crafty deceiver named Jacob dreams a dream of breathtaking beauty as he waits nervously to meet the brother he lied to years ago. He tipped up that stone and poured oil on it, saying, "This is none other than the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven." (Gen. 28.17)

He was marking the spot where grace happened.

I think all the strange stories and songs and lists and letters that make up what we call the Bible are such stones. They can be confusing and contradictory even. But when we see them as markers of grace, as little monuments to the experience of God in our world we can find that grace for ourselves in real time.

On Sunday we read the most famous verse in the Bible: John 3.16. But we read the story it came to us within as well. We read of Nicodemus's coming to Jesus at night and of the strange conversation they had about being born from above and whether that meant reentering a mother's womb. That story made it all the way to us. It was a stone tipped up that we might say, "Look here. Grace again."

The great thing about arrowheads is that finding one isn't satisfying. It's intoxicating to the enthusiast. Finding one means that there might be more along this river or at the edge of that wood. Maybe that's the way the stories and the sacraments of our faith are meant to work on us. They don't pin God down by telling us that grace happens only here, in this place, in this wine, in this book, among people like these. They put our sacred imagination to work.

They are hints. Maybe even hints of hints that draw us on and draw our imaginations in. Tipped up stones marking yet another arrival of grace.

3 comments:

trey merritt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

This is Clem. Sorry I've missed some of the blogs but, duty called.I also didn't know which identity to choose since the one I usually use wasn't there. So -

I read Scott's blog very carefully and wondered what ever could I write about this. His depth of knowledge from the bible is so beyond me that I found myself where I usually do; lost and without words (which is unusual for me in any sense) feeling ignorant once again. I just couldn't connect with Jacob's experience.

For some reason, in spite of my faith, the intellectual part of my head always tells me that the bible was a book written and translated so many years after the death of Christ that I can't understand how anyone could know what Jacob said, or did or felt when he woke from his dream. I guess I spend too much time "naval gazing" when I shouldn't.

But Trey's comment about Carl Jung suddenly reminded me of the very reason I must have loved reading Jung so much in my 20's and 30's; it's because Jung helped me understand the Grace in my life. I just didn't understand it like that, then.

I understand now! The voices of those Angels have rescued me through many a nights and helped guide my thinking through many a days. Some of those dreams were so profound they remained with me the entire day bringing such happiness and some of them such relief. God was bringing me Grace!

So Scott, thanks for your thoughts and for bringing me from ignorance to understanding, again!

trey merritt said...

Grace

There's Grace in this blog.

I am fascinated by the way in which dreams are used in the Bible. The gospel according to Matthew opens with several dreams. Joseph has a dream in which the angel of the Lord tells him that Mary's pregnancy is “from the Holy Spirit.” Then the wise men are warned in a dream not to return to Herod, so they return to there own country by another road. Next, Joseph has another dream in which the angel tells him, “Get up, take the child and his mother, and flee to Egypt..” When Herod dies, Joseph sees the angel in a dream yet again saying, “Get up, take the child and his mother, and go to the land of Israel, for those who are seeking the child's life are dead.”

The moment of grace that Scott talks about in Gen 28:17 is Jacob's dream of “breathtaking beauty” which caused him to say “This is none other than the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.”

I once read a book called “Natural Spirituality” by Joyce Rockwood Hudson, which suggests that our own dreams may be such moments of grace. She talks about how famous psychologist Carl Jung speaks of dreams, as well as moments of synchronicity, as the language of the spirit. I have a friend who calls such contemplation of dreams and synchronicity “naval gazing.” Too bad for him! I take great comfort in knowing that the scriptures talk over and over about how dreams and coincidences, that take on greater meaning in hindsight, are the very voice of the angels, guiding us and feeding us the grace we need to get through the day.

Thank you so much Scott, for lifting up Jacob's dream as a moment of grace for me. I needed that. I hope we all can look in our own lives, and see those moments of grace. And, if someone tells you it's just “naval gazing”, well, just pray for them, that they might start to see such moments grace in their own life.