Tuesday, December 18, 2007

God

Gospel reading: Matthew 11.2-11
(Click HERE for last Sunday's readings)

I guess my favorite version of "The Arkansas Traveler" is on Michelle Shocked's album of the same name. It just nudges out Jerry Garcia and Dave Grisman's rendition. Both include the traditional spoken exchanges between a farmer and a traveling stranger after every verse.

Jimmy Driftwood's ancient strained voice speaks for the farmer in Michelle Shocked's recording. The conversations are backwoodsy groaners for the most part. For instance, when asked why he doesn't fix his roof, Jimmy Driftwood says, "Well, stranger. When it's rainin' it's too wet to work. And when it's dry my roof's as good as any man's roof."

Or he's asked if he knows the way to Little Rock and responds, "Well, stranger, you can't get there from here."

When we tell someone that you "can't get there from here" we usually mean that it's a lot of trouble to get "there". But in theology we mean it quite literally sometimes.

Immanence and transcendence are big, old, heavy, theological terms. And sometimes they are used generally to distinguish between closeness and distance. If you experience God as immanent, God is close to you. A transcendent God is beyond us, far away we might say.

The trouble with using these terms this way is that both describe God as staying put either right here or out there. But this is a false choice and the term 'transcendence' itself should be enough to correct this misperception. To transcend something is not to be beyond it. It is to move beyond it.

I really like the way theologian Kathryn Tanner (expanding some of Karl Barth's thoughts) describes this. Here's a gross oversimplification of what she says. The Incarnation is a paradox, because to be human means we're not God. But God is transcendent. Which means that perhaps God can be fully present in Jesus. God can 'transcend' categories that we can't.

To return to our Arkansas traveler, from our perspective you really can't get to Little Rock (divinity) from here. But God can get here from there.

Now we may have reached a level of confusion never achieved before in this blog. And I'm pretty accomplished at muddying things that were once perfectly clear. Just ask my wife, Ardelle. (My wife of fourteen years as of today, I might add.)

But let me take some of the pressure off. All of this philosophical gymnastics is meant to remind us that we can't quite wrap our minds around the mystery of God. But God comes near to us anyway.

As Kathleen Norris put it to open this chapter, "I take refuge in God's transcendence, continually giving thanks that God's ways are not my own." This sounds strange. We can understand being thankful for how much sense someone else makes to us. But even in human relationships, mystery is just as important as knowledge.

I've been married to Ardelle for 14 years. No one has ever known me like she does. And I've never known anyone the way I know her. But as much as what's known, it's the mystery of what is yet to be discovered in her that excites me about what the next 14 years might hold. And the next. And the next.

This is the wonderful mystery of all meaningful relationships. We're partly amazed that someone understands us a little or has experienced something like we have. But the suspicion that we have so much more to discover in this other person is what carries us on into the future.

As we move through Advent toward Christmas we celebrate a great mystery. We don't know how to get to God. But somehow God gets to us. We can't quite wrap our minds around this. But we've seen just enough of God's presence in our lives and in the lives of others to be enticed.

Maybe the old farmer is right and we can't get there from here. But in ways we'll never quite comprehend God can and does get here from there. That's transcendence. We get just enough of the mystery of God to be drawn into a relationship forever.

3 comments:

trey merritt said...

God: "One finds God because one is already found by God. Anything we would find on our own would not be God."

With this quote Kathleen Norris opens her chapter on God. This seems to reconfirm my own experience of God. Much more than finding God, I have felt found by God. Knowing how I am and what my life has been like, I am very grateful God is in the finding business. Like Scott says, "...you can't really get to divinity from here, but God can get here from there."

In our scripture lessons from last Sunday, we hear Isaiah say, "Be strong and do not fear! Here is your God...he will come and save you." (Is 35:1-10) In the Psalm, we read, "the Lord shall reign forever." (Ps 146:9) In the Magnificat, Luke has Mary saying, "he has remembered his promise of mercy, the promise he made to our fathers, to Abraham and his children forever." (Lk 1:46-55)

I get the feeling that the writers of scripture seemed to think that God is in the finding business. Just when I start to feel comfortable with my own attraction to God and the church, I am remeinded that God found me. As one who has made a few mistakes in life, it is profoundly reassuring to hear of a God who reigns, remembers his promise of mercy and comes to save us. What a relief! If it were just up to me, I'd be in trouble.

Anonymous said...

When I was a little girl, the church didn't really teach us about God or Jesus. I got all my information from a wonderful mother with a great heart and childrens' books. I was crazy about Jesus when I was little. The stories I was reading about him were fascinating and exciting. Until I was 14, I had a wonderful relationship with God. Then something happened. God moved far, far away. I started blaming God for the crazy world around me. Where am I going with my ramble?

As one who has also experienced a happy and healthy marriage for 26+ years, I can promise you that discovering each other keeps coming. But, some things never change about the ones we love. That's a good thing. It's the part of a marriage that keeps it stable. You can always depend upon your wife or husband to behave and expect in a certain way under certain circumstances and we respond to it. It's probably what attracted us to them to begin with.

The relationship we have with God is the same thing. It's like a marriage. When we finally take the time to understand and get to know God and he makes himself known to us, the relationship begins.

Believe me, the relationship with God can have its ups and downs through life just like a marraige! As I grew up blaming God for the crazy world around me, God and I had some big knock down drag out fights. Everything was his fault, if you know what I mean! There were times when I didn't want anything to do with God or religion.

But then, I grew up. I learned that it wasn't God causing the ups and downs but the people around me, including myself, that didn't have a relationship with God. That's when I realized he knew me well enough to guide me back. This is when I decided it was time for me to take a little time to get to know God or, at least what the mystery was all about. (It may have also had a lot to do with Christ Church opening up the true meaning of Christianity.)

Like a marriage, the relationship with God gets better and better when there's give and take, take and give. As the relationship grows, we learn that God never changes in what he expects from us and we know what he wants us to do. In return, God gives each of us something different. It's the stable part of the relationship.

For me, the mystery of what God has in store for the future is based upon the way I handle that stability; Discovering new things about him all the time, just like a marriage.

Anonymous said...

Great work.